Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Klaipeda, LCC

So today was the second day of classes. I have been in Klaipeda for 5 days and I think that I am starting to get used to things. Here are some things that are going on/cultural stuff/etc:
-School is a 25 minute walk away. It's a nice walk through the city.
-It rains every 2 or 3 days.
-I'm living in a city. It's a little intimidating but cool.
-There are no preservatives in food so food doesn't last long. milk lasts only 2 or 3 days. 
-There's a pretty big mall 3 bus stops south call Akropolis. it's cool. it has an ice rink.
-My roommates speak russian really fast but russian has greek roots so every so often I pick up on some words or phrases.
-Students are a lot less willing to share thoughts or insights in classes.
-It's kind of hard when everything at the grocery store is in Lithuanian
-As kalbu seik teik lietuviskai (I only speak a little bit of Lithuanian)
-Students are very diligent about work. They are studying in their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th language so they need to put more effort into it.
-I'm jealous. Almost everyone speaks at least 3 languages.
-My roommates are really cool.
-I drank kefur yesterday. It's chilled spoiled milk. i.e. it's nasty. But it was a cultural experience
-They don't use ice here. All drinks come out prechilled but that's it. No ice in the cup. Libby, you would like it.
-A lot of students dress up a lot for classes.
-Pastry, buns, rolls and anything made in bakeries are amazing here.

Ok I think that's it. Life is going good. After a rough start because of neck pain, I'm really getting the hang of things in Lithuania.

No comments: