Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Some more surprising things in Lithuania

Some more really cool things in Lithuania:
-They have colored toilet paper. It's nifty. In our bathroom right now we have a grey roll and an orange roll.
-Speaking of toilets, most of them have 2 flushers depending on your business.
-There is a pizza place in the old town called Yellow Submarine. Mom, you would love it, it's a Beatles themed place. It is really awesome!
-So the grocery store chain here is called Iki (pronounced 'icky') but in the Lithuanian language the suffix "ukas" is added to mean a smaller version on that word. So Iki has small convenience/grocery stores called Ikiukas ("icky-ookah") which sounds fun.
-There are a lot of stray cats in the city. Seriously. There are a ton of them. There is even a scruffy looking dog that lives in the neighborhood that I walk through on my way to campus. I have named him Dr. James Hatfield.
-There is a jazz club in the old town which has free admission on tuesdays. The place is really amazing. You get to just sit there and listen to the music while enjoying a beer or some of the best icecream that I have found on this side of the world.
-The Baltic Sea is beautiful even though it's really cold. Guys in speedos is not beautiful though. 

I think that does it for recent discoveries. I'm doing well. I am learning to cook new and exciting things and I'm learning how to feel home here. There are some things I do miss though. I miss Sam, my family, and the comfort of things having some sense of familiarity. But everything is great.

No comments: